There were mixed reactions in Koluama 1, Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa State following an alleged bomb attack on Conoil facility in the State. It was also alleged that a Niger Delta militant group called Koluama Seven Brothers had said it carried out a “warning” strike on the facility.
However, a Joint Military Task Force (JTF),  the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, (NSCDC), and residents said it was not true. The attack was allegedly carried out by the group on Friday and the militants also threatened a production shut down at the facility.
The alleged group, Koluama Seven Brothers, also said it would carry out further strikes if its demands, including job creation, were not met by the company and a traditional leader.
Conoil operates six highly prospective blocks in the Niger Delta and produces over 80,000 barrels of oil per day, according to information on its website.
However, the  Joint Military Task Force JTF, the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps NSCDC and residents deny the attack. The military and community sources in Bayelsa State, have described media reports of militants’ attack on the oil pipeline as “fake news.”
A spokesman to the JTF in the Niger-Delta, Maj. Ibrahim Abdullahi, also condemned the reports in an interview, yesterday. He described the reports as a hoax and the handiwork of mischief makers aimed at misinforming the public.
He said: “After exhaustive verifications following enquiries from media practitioners, we found out that no such incident happened.  We enjoin the media to crosscheck their facts before rushing to the press to avoid publishing falsehood such as this report,”
Also, a resident of the area, James Dou, said. on the phone that “Koluama 1 had been peaceful since the New Year with the joint military task force frequently patrolling the waterways. “I am in Koluama 1 as we speak and there is no report of any attack on
Conoil or any oil facility nearby. I did not hear any explosion neither did I hear anyone discuss it”.
Also, a community leader in Koluama 1, Mr Mathew Sele-Epri and Chairman, KEFFES Rural Development Board, said the report was false. He was quoted saying: “There was no such incident. If it happened I should have known. I have made contact with my people back home and there is nothing like that; it is fake news”.
No Conoil Facility was Attacked
Similarly, Chairman, Reuwell Oil and Gas and ex-militant leaders, Clifford Wilson, (aka General), Pastor Reuben Wilson, also dismissed the attack. He said, “The Reuwells Oil and Gas Surveillance Company, an indigenous company in charge of security surveillance of Conoil rigging activities in Koluama, Southern Ijaw council of Bayelsa State, wants to deny the reported claim that there was a bomb attack on the facilities owned by the energy company in our area.
“The news about the attack is nothing but a hoax that only existed in the imagination of the misguided youths masquerading as a militant group and geared towards creating panic, blackmail and to arm-twist the company into succumbing to threat in the area.
 “As a surveillance security company, we are fully on the ground and working with the military personnel of Operation Delta Safe (ODS), and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), patrolling every nooks and cranny of  Conoil activities.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY